Objectives of the project
The overall objective of “Consolidation of the Albanian Justice System” (Euralius) is to bring the Albanian Justice System closer to EU standards through technical assistance drawn from EU Member States by supporting the reform of the judicial system in Albania in accordance with the priorities of the EU acquis in Judiciary and Fundamental Rights and European best practices and standards in the area.
In order to define the wide scope of work more precisely, the project has been split up into 6 specific objectives, which are as follows:
- To improve the transparency, efficiency and effectiveness of all institutions of the Albanian justice system according to the clear and comprehensive reform strategy developed by the Albanian Ministry of Justice (MoJ) and other stakeholders in the system. (Specific objective 1 - Reform of the justice system)
- To improve the organizational, administrative, technical and resource management capacities and the case management capabilities of the Judiciary and its dependant institutions in order to make the courts more efficient and transparent.
- It shall include the regular development of training and publications concerning legal issues so as to have a clear framework for the duties of the court administration staff, to set objective rules for allocation of cases to judges, to manage the cases on rational basis and to lead the trials according to the with European standards. (Specific objective 2 - Modernization of Judiciary)
- To bring the criminal justice system in compliance with the EU standards. To reduce the length of criminal proceedings. To implement the legislation on international cooperation in criminal matters. To assist, together with the MoJ, in improving the organisation and management of the Prosecutor's Office. (Specific objective 3 - Criminal Justice)
- To improve the enforcement proceedings in Albania by modernizing the working methods of the public and the private enforcement agents based on better access to register information of debtor’s assets, developed cross-agency exchange of information and establishment of debtor’s declaration / enforcement inquiry. This should include also legal measures to ensure procedural equality of the parties as well as others in the frame of recommendations of the European Commission on the Efficiency of Justice (CEPEJ) (Specific objective 4 - Enforcement)
- To improve the legal framework of judicial procedures, guaranteeing the respect of the content integrated in the right to due process according to the jurisprudence of the ECHR. To provide a coordination and monitoring function aiming at the setting up of a permanent system for checking the improvement of technical and legal framework in the correspondent areas. (Specific objective 5 - Legal Framework)
- To support the development of structures that facilitate for all justice-related sectors and Civil Society participation in decision-making through the mechanisms for consultation, coordination and monitoring in accordance with the respective European standards. (Specific objective 6 - Participation)